Commercial New Business Underwriter- Dublin/ Galway
Exciting new roles open within our Commercial Lines team, this role would will be focused on New Business. As the Commercial New Business Underwriter this role will involves building, maintaining and developing relationships with a portfolio of Accounts to generate new business in line with agreed area/segment strategies and, secure profitable renewals and underwriting the associated cases within agreed processes and risk appetite.
You will spend most of your time delivering underwriting decisions, managing Accounts and Account Plans and contributing to business development activities. You will use your strong analytical, relationship management and communication skills to manage the underwriting of a portfolio of accounts.
Headquartered in London, we have over 12,500 people supporting our 9 million customers, in over 100 countries. We’ve a long-standing reputation in Ireland too and have been providing insurance solutions to the Irish market since 1721. With teams in Dublin, Belfast and Galway we support our customers through our affinity and broker channels and our 123.ie business.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture of continued development, with our people at the very heart of it. ‘Your Best U’ is our people brand and reflects our desire for everyone to bring the very best version of themselves to work every day and we build our culture on our values of love simplicity, do the right thing, be better every day and boundless ambition. We are a flexible employer and understand the need to balance work and life outside the office. This is a flexible role with the ability to work dynamically.
- Reviewing allocated large, complex or specialist cases and deliver underwriting decisions, following agreed processes at the designated authority level, in order to secure profitable business within the agreed risk appetite.
- Leading and/or contributing to technical audits and peer review processes as required to support and enable the maintenance of an effective control environment.
- Providing advice and guidance to the production of new policy wordings or reviews of existing policy wordings to ensure policy documentation is current and accurate.
- Leading or playing a major role in managing and developing an agreed portfolio of Accounts in order to maximise profitable revenue potential from new and renewal business and achieve agreed business targets.
- Leading or contributing to the development and monitoring of Account Plans, gaining agreement to and implementing them to secure renewals and optimise profitable new business growth potential at individual account level.
- Identifying, recommending and leading or contributing to the implementation of marketing activities, business development initiatives, etc to increase overall revenue, ‘share of wallet’ and business mix in line with agreed Account Plans.
- Managing complaints within own licence level in an appropriate fashion to maintain quality and continuity of relationships.
- Contributing to the wider development of effective business strategies, priorities and market propositions, drawing on own knowledge, understanding and interpretation of local markets, competitors and Accounts.
- Actively engaging in the identification, prioritisation, negotiation and winning of new Account relationships in line with agreed business strategies and delegated authorities.
- Providing expert advice, guidance and coaching to less qualified and/or experienced colleagues to address technical referrals and raise standards and expertise across the technical community.
- Develop and maintain good internal relationships to support the end to end delivery of the customer proposition. Managing customer expectations and delivering the relevant Brand Promise whilst proactively identifying and pursuing up-selling and cross-selling opportunities at the same time as ensuring the Service Promise to meet the defined customer service proposition (e.g. Broker Promise)
- Reviewing new business cases, where appropriate, and delivering underwriting decisions by following agreed processes at the designated authority level and with the necessary senior direction and support, in order to secure profitable business within the agreed risk appetite
- CIP, ACII or equivalent insurance qualification
- Ability to work to tight deadlines with a commitment to delivering quality results.
- Excellent internal networks and relations with the Sales function
- Excellent external networks and relations with customers and intermediaries
- This role falls within scope of the Minimum Competency Code (MCC) and requires the jobholder to have attained or be working towards the status of ‘Qualified Person’ in the relevant function(s) e.g. personal lines, commercial lines and claims, or have attained a Statement of Grandfathered Status in the relevant function(s). A New Entrant working towards the status of ‘Qualified Person’ must be supervised by a Qualified Person or a Grandfathered Person. The status of ‘Qualified Person’ can be achieved through attaining the qualification of Certified Insurance Practitioner (CIP), Accredited Product Advisor (APA), or Associate or Fellow of the Chartered Insurance Institute (ACII or FCII). The jobholder must also comply with all CPD requirements as outlined in the MCC.
- This role is subject to the Fitness and Probity Standards (“The Standards”) , issued under Section 50 of the Central Bank Reform Act 2010 and any subsequent amendments. The role holder must ensure they are fully aware of the Standards and in a position to fully comply with them at all times.
RSA Insurance Ireland DAC and its affiliate companies consider applicants on the basis of qualifications and without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, disability or any other legally protected status.